Sunday 9 October 2011

Project #2: Bandai 1/144 HGUC GP03 Dendrobium - Prelude

The project:
This has always been the Gundam I have in mind to complete. Got this model in a Gundam fair at Bugis Junction (singapore) at least 8 years ago. The objective to this project is to convince my wife that we need to have a custom build a show case to put my finish models. To achieve that, I'll need to try something new :
1) Using a Double action airbrush (Used single action previously)
2) Colour Shading learnt from Youtube.

Estimate Time required to complete: 3 months. (only 2 to 3 hours daily due to work commitment)

PS: Do note that I have no art knowledge to start off with. All techniques are learnt from the internet or from my past experience.

The box cover:





The Build Process:
Unlike my previous posting on Kamen Rider, this project will be updated progressively on the build. It will finish with a suite of pictures. For its first posting, I will start off with a prelude.

The Workplace:
Moving to a new house has given me enough space to put a proper table. Nothing like what I did last time when I had to sit on the floor for hours... with an aching back, a proper chair is definitely required.



The Airbrush & Compressor:
Bought this from an art shop near Bugis. Its the shop I bought my air compressor. And that is more than 10 years ago. Anyway, really do appreciate how inexpensive airbrushes are in the market. Good for budget modelers like myself.





The Spray Booth:
Use to spray in the common corridor outside my house, family and neighbors would complain about the fumes. But the cost of 1 such device really puts anyone away during that time... Fast forward 15 years ahead, I manage to get this spray booth in less than $200 (SGD)! And best of all, its compact!





The Tools:
No frills in this topic. Just the usual pliers, different grades of sandpaper, modelling knives, cutting mat and etc. Most of my stuffs are from Tamiya. I like them as their stuffs are really beautifully manufactured. Lastly, my trusty Dremel tool which I got it as a surprise present from my wife more than 10 years ago!



The Paints:
Still in dilemma. Was thinking of using Tamiya enamels but read that it will not be an easy task. I will deal with the paint when I am about there. For now, I will KIV this.

Next Post:
Part 1A - Building the Orchis

0 comments:

Post a Comment